Side Effects Of Artificial Sweetner On Your Health
- Weight Gain Artificial sweeteners increase your appetite thus increasing calorie consumption, which ultimately leads to weight gain. You tend to eat larger portions when you eat foods with artificial sweeteners. Most of the foods sweetened with artificial sweeteners are high in carbohydrates.
- Diabetes Artificial sweeteners may disrupt body’s ability to regulate blood sugar, causing metabolic changes that can be a precursor to diabetes. According to the recent reports, too much consumption of artificial sweeteners instead of sugar is one of the major causes of diabetes.
- High Blood pressure and cardiovascular disease The risk for coronary heart disease gets significantly elevated in those who consume more than two artificially-sweetened beverages a day. It has the same effect as sugar sweetened foods. It increases the risk of cardiovascular disorders.
- Metabolic Syndrome Metabolic syndrome is a group of conditions that commonly include increased blood pressure, high blood sugar level, excess body fat around the waist, and abnormal cholesterol levels — that occur together, and increase your risk of stroke, heart disease, and other diseases. It has been observed that people consuming artificial sweeteners on regular basis have a double risk of contracting metabolic syndrome compared to non-consumers.
- Taste buds become dull Artificial sweeteners are a lot sweeter than regular table sugar. The exposure of your taste buds to such high intensity of sweetness makes them less receptive to naturally occurring sweet foods, such as fruits. Also, when your taste buds become dull, you tend to seek out sweeter foods to satiate your sweet cravings.
If you are really looking for a sugar substitute, then it’s always better to go for natural sweeteners like honey. They will provide taste without being a potential hazard for your health.