Why It Is Healthier to Eat Raisins Soaked in Water
Looks can be deceptive. Raisins may appear to be shriveled and haggard, but do you that they are a storehouse of nutrients? Raisins belongs to the family of dry fruits and most commonly, it is used as a topping over Indian desserts like kheer or phirni or is even stuffed into barfis. They are derived from dried grapes and you may find them with a golden, green and blackish hue. They are full of natural sugars and that makes them great energy boosters. They are also rich in nutrients like iron, potassium and calcium and therefore, one can definitely bank on raisins to gain physical and mental strength. While consuming raisins in their raw form is a common practice, soaking them in water overnight and then eating them early morning on an empty stomach is considered to be very healthy. This has additional advantages apart from those that come along having them raw. Bangalore-based Nutritionist Dr. Anju Sood, shares some health benefits of eating raisins soaked in water. She states “Soaking the raisins and consuming them every day is a healthier alternative as opposed to eating them raw. The vitamins and minerals present on the outer skin of the raisin get dissolved in the water. Thus the amount of nutrients that will be absorbed by the body increases. This is especially beneficial for people suffering from high blood pressure. This way, the antioxidant content too gets enhanced.”
1. Regulates Blood Pressure:- Excess salt consumption is known to cause high blood pressure. However, the potassium in raisins helps to balance the salt content in our body and regulate blood pressure.
2.Aids Digestion:- Raisins are high in fiber and they act as natural laxatives when soaked in water. Thus, eating soaked raisins helps prevent constipation and keeps your digestion process in check through the day.
3. Weight Loss:- Raisins are full of natural sugars and are great to curb your sweet cravings without loading on extra calories. But eat them in moderation and don’t go overboard. They help in controlling your blood sugar levels and beat cravings and all this helps in supporting your weight loss goals.
4. Helps Boost Immunity:- Rich in vitamin B and C, raisins help strengthen your immunity and thus, your body becomes less susceptible to infections.
5. Increases Bone Strength:- Boron which is essential for bone formation is present in large quantities in raisins. Raisins are also packed with calcium which is required for bone strength. Eating soaked raisins helps in better absorption of these nutrients and thus, improves overall bone density.
Raisins improve bone strength; Photo credit: IStock
6. Prevents Bad Breath: The anti-bacterial properties of raisins help in maintaining oral hygiene of the mouth and get rid of breath.
7. Prevents Anemia:- Iron is the most essential element required for the formation of red blood cells in our body. Raisins are rich in iron and they help increasing the blood supply in the body and thus, prevent anemia. Apart from a host of health benefits, raisins are great as snacks or as a part of a dry fruit trail mix. Dr. Sood recommends that you should have 30 grams or a handful of mixed dry fruits everyday to stay hail and hearty