How to Get Good Sleep and Overcome Sleepless Night ?
1. Go to sleep at the same time each night, and get up at the same time each morning, even on the weekends.
2. Don’t take naps after 3 p.m, and don’t nap longer than 20 minutes.
3. Stay away from caffeine and alcohol late in the day.
4. Avoid nicotine completely..
5. Get regular exercise, but not within 2-3 hours of bedtime.
6. Don’t eat a heavy meal late in the day. A light snack before bedtime is OK.
7. Make your bedroom comfortable, dark, quiet, and not too warm or cold.
8. Follow a routine to help you relax before sleep (for example, reading or listening to music). Turn off the TV and other screens at least an hour before bedtime.
9. If you can’t fall asleep after 20 minutes, do something calming until you feel sleepy, like reading or listening to soft music.
10.Talk with a doctor if you continue to have trouble sleeping.
Special Problem to Teenagers:
Sleep problems are a special concern for teenagers. The average teen needs about 9 hours of sleep a night. Children and teens who don’t get that much may have problems getting along with others. They may feel angry and impulsive, have mood swings, feel sad or depressed, or lack motivation. They also may have problems paying attention, and they may get lower grades and feel stressed.
To Overcome those, Teens can try:
1. Avoiding screen time at least an hour before bed.
2. Banning all-nighters (Don’t leave homework for the last minute!)
3. Writing in a diary or on a to-do list just before sleep, to reduce stress
4. Sleeping no more than 2 hours later on weekend mornings than on weekday mornings.