This Coconut Day, Know the Stone Fruit more closely
This Coconut day, let’s know the coconut more closely. Some unknown facts about coconut, its health benefits and some fun facts about it.
Firstly, the big question is what coconut actually is…?
A fruit? A nut? Or A seed? So the answer is, Coconut is a drupe, one-seeded drupe and also called as stone fruit.
Heath facts about Coconut
- Coconut is often called as superfood; it is a great source of digestion-friendly fiber. Coconut contains vitamins and minerals like iron, magnesium, manganese, zinc along with saturated fat.
- Coconut water is a great source of all the electrolytes your body needs. Coconut water is the highest rated source of electrolyte. It keeps your body and skin hydrated and responsible for better functioning of nerves and muscles.
- Coconut flour is a healthy choice for people with diabetes and adding coconut flour to the baked food products reduce glycemic index. And coconut flour can also be added in keto and paleo diet. Two tablespoons of coconut flour contain up to 5 grams of fiber.
- Coconut meat, the part that remains after removing outer cover of coconut. Coconut meat enhances the feeling of fullness, fat burning and calorie burning and can aid in weight loss. Manganese and antioxidants in coconut meat improves immune system.
- Coconut oil contains healthy fats andis known to improve hearth health. Coconut oil also have antimicrobial properties because of lauric acid contents it, and can be used as mouthwash too for killing bacteria in mouth, and the process is known as oil-pulling.
- Coconut milk can be consumed as a substitute for milk. Coconut milk increases good cholesterol and decreases bad cholesterol and it also improves blood pressure. Coconut milk contains vitamins B1, B3, B5, B6, C and E. It also contains iron.
These are all health benefits of coconut. And overall coconut is good for health, skin and hair.
Unknown facts about coconut
- Coconut oil is used most in cosmetic products, more than any other fruit.
- Coconut water is considered as “the father of modern tissue culture science”. Presently, research is going on to see if coconut water can be used for regrowth of hair and skin anti-ageing.
- Falling coconut kills more than 150 people every year, 10 times the number of people killed by sharks.
- More than 20 billion coconuts are produced every year.
- Coconut husk can be burnt and used as mosquito repellant. This process is used in many countries.
- Coconut tree can grow up to 82 feet high, i.e., 25 meters.
- The top three coconut producing countries are Philippines, Indonesia and India.
- Coconut water can be used as short tern substitute for human blood plasma.
- Coconut palm sugar can be made by picking flower buds from coconut trees and extracting saps from them. Coconut palm sugar is low in glycemic index and doesn’t spike blood sugar.
Fun facts about coconut
- The name of coconut is given by Portuguese sailors who thought three small dots on coconut shell resembles human face and “coco” means grinning face, and nut was added later in English language.
- Coir, coconut husk can be used to make ropes, mats, brushes and other useful items.
- The coconut bra, famous for Hawaiian hula girl, is actually not native to Hawaii, this garment is western idea.
- Macaque, a species of monkey is trained in Thailand and Malaysia and used to harvest coconut. In fact, still there are schools for training these monkeys.
- Coconut water contains minerals, which are perfectly mimic that in human body.
- Coconut oil has similar health benefits for dogs as that of humans.
This is all about coconut. To get more information like this and farming information, Stay Connected…!!
Happy Coconut Day…!!